|Inscription on Mission Cross, |
St Patrick's Church
Originally, the Mission Cross was located at the front of the church. The above photo is of the original altar of St Patrick's Church and the Mission Cross can be seen to the left of the Sanctuary.
|Men's Mission, St Patrick's Church, Lent 1953|
The picture of the Men's Mission of 1953 is almost unbelievable today. The sheer number of men who, after a hard day's work, came out every evening for a whole week is something that 21st century minds probably find difficult to comprehend. Even the choir loft is full, as are the aisles. Perhaps the only fire hazard they were concerned with was the one that the Mission Priests were talking about! From this photo, we can see that the Mission Cross has been relocated to the back of the church. It is to the left of the door and, as the custom dictates, the figure of Christ is covered with a purple cloth.
|The Redemptorist Mission Cross, |
St Patrick's Church, 1882