Wednesday 5 June 2013

MOTHER JOHN'S GRADE 4 CLASS, 1950

This is a picture sent to me by Enid O'Brien and her sister, Joan (Stanford) Dutile. It is Joan's Grade 4 picture from about 1950.  It is a great picture and I only wish that Mother John was on it.  Have you noticed that in  the class pictures from the 50s and 60s the teachers were seldom in the photo?   I wonder why?  Perhaps they were just shy!  On that thought, if anyone has  pictures of any of the teachers, they would make great posts here.  You could send them to me at mcallistersmith@gmail.com

I love the background to this picture too.  I am no expert on architecture but I know what I like and I love the look of the Convent in the background.  It is a really beautiful building.  Also, note the washing on the line.  By the way it is blowing, I would say it was an ideal day for drying clothes!
Mother John's Grade 4 Class, circa 1950
Front Row L-R:
Kathleen Dobbin, Emily Bishop, Lorraine Sheehan, Rosemary Ashley, Joan Abbass, Yvonne Beck, Margaret Miller, Mary Bulger, Brenda Casey, Brenda Molloy, Andrea Martin, Eleanor Sears and Joan Predham.
2nd Row:
Mary Whelan, Catherine Corbett, Rita Kielly, Joan Reynolds, Joan Ryan, Joan Connolly, Irene Viscount, Barbara Ryan, Joan Byrne, Ruth Howell, Patricia McCarthy, Marie Madden, Barbara Mahoney
3rd Row:
Joan O'Dwyer, Margaret Hynes, Marie Fitzgerald, Gertrude Cleary, Betty Antle, Joan Stanford, Mary English and Mary Farrell
Many thanks to Joan & Enid.  I could not keep this blog going without the help of people like you so I am very grateful to you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment