Wednesday 16 October 2013

CUBS ON PARADE

1st St Patrick's Cub Pack on Parade in 1953

This lovely picture, courtesy of Doreen (McAllister) Heffernan, was taken in 1953, probably on 1st July.  It is the 1st St Patrick's Cub Pack on parade and it shows the leaders, Mrs Rose McCormack and Miss Doreen McAllister.  Following close behind are John McCormack, Tommy Greene and Gerry Meaney.  Behind Gerry is another Meaney, (Basil perhaps?). 

Tommy Greene's creation for the 2010 St Patrick's Reunion
Sadly, Mrs McCormack and John McCormack have passed away.  I think Gerry still lives in St John's and I don't know about the other Meaney boy.  (If you know, please let me know.)  Little Tommy Green grew up to be a very talented maker of beautiful cakes!  He also had the good sense to marry a St Patrick's Convent Girl, Florence Furey.  The above photo shows one of Tom's delicious cakes, made by him for the 2010 St Patrick's Convent School Reunion.   
 
Thanks for this photo, Doreen.  It gave me much pleasure and I am sure it will do the same for many other readers of this blog.
 

2 comments:

  1. I remember Mrs McCormack very well and had been a Cub Scout but when this photo was taken I had moved up to the Scouts . I knew John and Tom very well also , may they RIP . Gerry is my younger brother and is still with us . The Meaney behind him might be Paul Meaney who is no relation .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok, thanks for that. I knew Mrs McCormack & John. Patricia McCormack & I were great friends as teenagers but I haven't seen her for about 45/50 years. I also knew Tom Green. Doreen is my sister.

      Delete