Sunday 16 March 2014

ST PATRICK'S DAY, ONCE UPON A TIME

Once upon a time,  St Patrick's Day wasn't St Patrick's Day in our parish without the annual play put on by Miss Kay Hayes and the St Patrick's Dramatic Troupe. Years move on and tastes change and now those wonderful plays are just a happy memory.  Thanks to my sister-in-law, Pat McAllister, I have been given an opportunity to stroll down memory lane with the help of an old programme from one of those magical nights.  I know  many of you also remember those plays so I am posting excerpts from the programme.  There are also some adds that will bring back fond memories because the companies and products they advertise are no longer with us.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy this and the memories it evokes.
 
The cover of a St Patrick's Day Concert Programme
 


Setting the scene


The synopsis


 
 
Love the ads!




Meet the cast
(Remember Marty's?)




The cast, continued

 


Did Mary Downey play two parts?






Sometimes multi-talented George also acted in the plays




Did you, or your mother, shop at the London?






With all of this amazing talent entertaining us between acts,
we certainly got our money's worth!





The final "thank you" and the last page of the programme


For those of you who, like me, have had the very great pleasure of listening to "THE BIG 6" on Saturday mornings, here's the tune that still brings me back to those lazy, carefree Saturdays. 
 

 


HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Beth Anne! You've really collected a lot of history and information since I last checked the blog. Good for you! This has taken on a life of its own. Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Doreen. Thanks for your kind words but I owe so very much to an awful lot of people who have sent me photographs and stories over the years. I couldn't do any of this without all their help, interest & support. And I have to admit that I enjoy doing this blog so I hope the support continues & that the pictures & memories keep rolling in. It is really nice to hear from you & I wish you & all your lovely family a Merry Christmas & a happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete