Thursday 18 September 2014

ST PATRICK'S GIRLS AND BOYS!

HELEN GOULDING has sent us two lovely photographs from 1967 and 1968.  Helen, who finished at St Patrick's in 1976, said that the children in these photographs were just six or seven years old. 
 
This first photo is of Helen's Grade 1 Class, 1967.   At one time, boys attended St Patrick's before moving on to Holy Cross.  I am very pleased with this picture because it  is the very first one that I have received which has boys on it.  Can anyone give us a name or two?  Also, who is the Sister?  Love the modified habit!  Believe it or not, some people thought it pretty daring.  I suppose it was quite a big change from the previous one that covered everything but face and hands.  Anyway, I love this picture and I really hope that some of you will be able to identify the Nun and the children.

Grade 1 Girls and BOYS, 1967

 
Here we have another picture of the Rhythm Band at the 1968 Graduation.  Aren't they just the cutest musicians you have ever seen?  I am hoping for some names here too, please.
 
You all look very smart in your red capes and hats!

 
I am always very grateful to receive photographs and/or stories from St Patrick's pupils, girls or boys.  I hope some boys will now be encouraged to allow us to have a peek at their old school pictures.  We really would LOVE to hear from the men out there who are former St Patrick's pupils!
 
Helen, if you come across anything else you would like to share here, we would be delighted to post it. Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures with us.

5 comments:

  1. How do I tag this Picture?I know some of the kids here cause I am one of them. The Nun is Sister Catherine Sears, she was about 19-20 years old here.
    1st row:2nd carolanne Murphy, 4th Darlene Cromwell, 7th, Linda Noftall,2nd row, (far left) May Lou Hearn, ?, Vicky Kavanagh, Madonna Hynes,(me) Daphne Steele, ?, Cathy Mercer,3rd row,(Far right) Junior Evens,?, Virginia Mahoney, Helen Goulding,Top Row(right) Bruce Duke,3rd in Glen Mercer,5th, Robert Hayes,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anonymous

    I am very pleased to hear from you. In the picture, which child are you? I don't think it is possible to 'tag' a photo in a blog. (It may be but, if it is, it is way beyond my expertise!) However, if you wish, I will edit the post & add the information that you have supplied. Please let me know if you want me to do that.

    Do you have any pictures that you would care to share with us here? If so, you can send them to us at mcallistersmith@gmail.com & we would be delighted to post them here on the blog & also on the school facebook page.

    Thank you for taking the time to comment & for the info. Hearing from former St Patrick's pupils is what makes doing this blog worthwhile so please keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOPS! I just re-read your comment & I see that you are either Madonna Hynes or Daphne Steele. I am not sure which. Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. I attended this school for grades 1 and 2, '61.and '62 if I remember correctly. I could read and write before I started school, so was terribly bored after about two weeks of the alphabet. I was sitting at my desk crying one day when Sister Dorothy (Dorothia?) came over and asked me why I was crying. "I'm bored!" She had me stand and then she waltzed with me round and round the room until I started laughing. I also was taught my an elderly nun, Sister Patrick. When I say elderly I mean it - probably in her 90s: she had taught my father years before in Witless Bay! By sheer coincidence, I was able to enter the building many years later, just before it was renovated, and was pleased to see my grade one classroom unchanged, exactly as I had remembered it, right down to the tiny wooden desks. Thanks for the opportunity to share there memories. Frank Burke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Frank Burke for sharing this lovely memory with us. Sister Patrick never taught me but she was teaching at St Patrick's when I was there. She was the Sacristan at St patrick's Church for years & years. She was a tiny little Nun & sometimes she would be placing large vases of flowers on the altar & we kids would hold our breath waiting for her to drop them. Sometimes they looked bigger than she was. She was a sweet little soul. I didn't know Sr Dorothy but I did know a Sr Dorothia & she was a nice person too. Which ever one it was who waltzed you around the classroom, she must have been lovely. Thanks again Frank & please keep in touch. If you have any photographs or anymore little stories you would like to share, we would live to post them here.

    ReplyDelete