Saturday 9 May 2015

17th ANNUAL KIWANIS MUSIC FESTIVAL

Did you know that the Presentation Sisters were the first teachers in Newfoundland to introduce music into  schools on a daily basis?  Well, they were and it became an important part of the curriculum in their schools throughout the Island.  Perhaps we pupils, with our childish innocence, just took it all for granted, accepting the music, the singing, and the awards as just part of everyday school life.

Cathy Coffey has sent us a picture which is a happy reminder of the tense, scary, happy, exciting, wonderful  days of participating in (and winning!) the Kiwanis Music Festival.
ST PATRICK'S CHOIR, FIRST PLACE,
KIWANIS MUSIC FESTIVAL
Cathy said:
"Here's a gem from the past! I recognize Judy Squires, Joanne Dodd, Cathy Handrigan, Jean Power, Michelle Squires, Karen Mugford, Moya Moakler (?), Rhonda Ryall, Michelle Evans, Denise Fisher, myself - Cathy (Taylor), and of course, Sister Brendan!!"
Thank you so much, Cathy, for sharing this lovely memory.  It really is a "gem".

This is a comment, from 'Anonymous', which was left in the comments section below.  To make it more accessible to everyone, I am adding it to the blog post.  Here is the comment:
"There were a few errors made when identifying the girls in the above picture. The girl in the glasses in front of Sr Brendan is Janet Peddle. To her left is Moya Greene and to her right is Louise Handrigan (not Cathy). Right in front to the left is Tish Mallard and the taller girl to her left is Ann Marie Tobin. The long blond haired girl right behind her is Jean Power. Denise Fisher is the girl with her chin cut off up front. Behind her is Michelle Evans and to her left is (I believe) Jean Power's twin, Joan. But I may be wrong on that one."

Thanks, Anonymous, for taking the time to comment.  Does anyone have anymore suggestions as to names?  I leave it in your good hands!

Another choir member has left a comment today (13 October 2015) & because it includes more names I am going to publish the comment here for all to see.  Thanks Teri Healey.
"I see my face poking out between the Mallard girl (who I actually thought was Helen, but I could be wrong) & Ann Marie Tobin. My name was Teresa (as the Nuns called me but I went by Teri) Healey, from Brine Street. Thanks for sharing the picture!!"

Madonna L Ryan-Gorner has left a comment with a little more information on the names of the girls in the photo. Here is what Madonna said:
"I agree with the corrections that Anonymous made, except for which Mallard girl that is. I was in the same grade as Moyà, Janet & Louise, and Tish was in our same grade. That little girl looks too young for Grade 8. The picture was taken in 1968, not sure if that was mentioned."

Thank you Madonna.

It is great to see that people are browsing the blog and still looking at older posts.  I have a comment from Helen Mallard Campbell that I am posting because it corrects the name of another singer. Here is Helen's comment "HI This is Helen Mallard and the Mallard Girl in the Pic Is Elizabeth Mallard my double first cousin. I am there too but you can't see me. Hope this helps Thanks." Helen, thank you for your help.

7 comments:

  1. There were a few errors made when identifying the girls in the above picture. The girl in the glasses in front of Sr Brendan is Janet Peddle. To her left is Moya Greene and to her right is Louise Handrigan ( not Cathy). Right in front to the left is Tish Mallard and the taller girl to her left is Ann Marie Tobin. The long blond haired girl right behind her is Jean Power. Denise Fisher is the girl with her chin cut off up front. Behind her is Michelle Evans and to her left is ( I believe) Jean Power's twin , Joan. But I may be wrong on that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see my face poking out between the Mallard girl (who I actually thought was Helen, but I could be wrong) & Ann Marie Tobin. My name was Teresa (as the Nuns called me but I went by Teri) Healey, from Brine Street. Thanks for sharing the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown Terri!
      Thanks for this bit of information. It is good to hear from you & I thank you for taking the time to help us. It is good to get as many names as we possibly can so anytime you can add anything to the blog we would be delighted to hear from you. All the best to you & yours.

      Delete
  3. I agree with the corrections that Anonymous made, except for which Mallard girl that is. I was in the same grade as Moyà, Janet & Louise, and Tish was in our same grade. That little girl looks too young for Grade 8. The picture was taken in 1968, not sure if that was mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madonna
      Thanks for this info. I am going post your comment to the main body of this post. Every scrap of information helps & is certainly appreciated.

      Delete
  4. HI This is Helen Mallard and the Mallard Girl in the Pic Is Elizabeth Mallard my double first cousin.I am there too but you can't see me.Hope this helps Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. i knew a helen mallard / hamilton ave / beautiful singers / if you should ever sing in public again / pleeeeeese advise/ would pay a million for ticket / GOD BLESS ? BOB GORMAN HOLYCROSS ? PATRICK ST.

    ReplyDelete