Tuesday 23 June 2015

MEMORIES FROM THE 1979 YEARBOOK

These pictures are all from the 1979 yearbook.  I am indebted to my niece, Paula Florey, for lending me her copy & entrusting its safe keeping to me.  These pictures are proof that the Schools run by the Presentation Sisters continued to uphold the musical tradition established by the first Presentation Sisters in Newfoundland.  It is recorded that the Presentation Sisters were the first teachers in Newfoundland to introduce music into schools on a daily basis.

Here are the pictures.  I hope you enjoy them and if you can help us out with any information, names, etc, please let us know at mcallistersmith@gmail.com.




 

Miss Eleanor  Lawton and a smiling pupil. 
Can you name the pupil?
UPDATE:  We have just been informed that this 'smiling pupil' is actually Lisa Walsh.  It is so nice to be able to name the little girl.  Thank you Lisa.  I hope you are still making lovely music!
 

Mr E Hajek and the School Orchestra, 1979. 
Are you in this picture?


Sister Mary Xaveria and a pupil.  Can anyone tell
us who the young man is?
 

Another Happy Musician!  We would love to
have a name to go with the photo.

Don't forget - if you can give us any names or stories about these photographs, we would be very happy to hear from you.  You can contact us at mcallistersmith@gmail.com if you can help with these pictures or if you have anything that you would like to have posted here on the St Patrick's Convent School Blog.

6 comments:

  1. The orchestra photo, I know so many of those faces and some of the names but for some reason, I cannot find me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning Sandra
    If you click on the picture it will enlarge & you will be able to see better the faces of the girls in it. Hopefully, you will then be able to see if you are on the picture. Thanks for your comment & please keep in touch. If you have any pictures, stories, etc, that you would like to share, we would be happy to have them. You can just send them to us at this email address. Thanks, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will share some of the names from the photo when I have more time. Thanks for the wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will share some of the names from the photo when I have more time. Thanks for the wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I went to St. Patricks for a short time back in the late 70's, I just wanted to comment that I thought the 'smiling pupil' was Betty Churchill not Lisa Walsh. Any other comments come to you on that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I haven't had any other remarks re the little girl's name, just yours and Lisa's. Lisa identified the "smiling girl" as herself so I am very much inclined to go with that. I appreciate your input and hope that we will hear from you again. All the best to your and yours.

      Delete