Thursday 27 October 2016

MARYLOU'S TRIBUTE

Those of you who know the Mallard girls will also know what a talented family they are musically.  It seems they have other talents as well. Marylou Mallard Tucker  is also a gifted poet.  We have posted several of Lulu's poems previously and we are proud to post this special poem written by her on the occasion of St Patrick's Convent and the leaving of the Presentation Sisters.  The Sisters' leave taking ends 160 years of their presence at St Patrick's but the memories they have left us with and the loyalty which they have inspired in us will be here for many, many years to come. Here is Marylou's loving tribute.       

St. Patrick’s Convent  
A beautiful Mass was held in the Presentation Sisters honour
With Archbishop Currie, Father Beresford and Father Wayne,
To celebrate one hundred and sixty years
“Love” was Sister Nano Nagle and her Sisters’ claim to fame.

I was asked by my sister Rosemary
To attend a very special Mass,
It was in honour of the closing of the Convent Home
As our memories kept flowing back to the past.

Prayer beads were received when doing messages for the nuns
As we brought back packages to their sacred place,
Piano at this convent was taught to us by Sister Stephanie
We always carried a happy smile upon our face.

A celebration was held at the parish room
Food and drink was so meticulously prepared,
Seeing fellow students from so many years ago
The gathering showed how much everybody cared.

The highlight for me was seeing Sister Brendan
Sitting there to my surprise,
I went over to her and held her hand
With heartfelt tears that glistened in my eyes.

She remembered me when I told her who I was
As it has been over 45 years,
“The Mallards, Oh yes, I think of you often,
Beautiful singers", the words I did hear.

Sister Catherine had introduced us to Sister Brendan.
Rosemary, Helen, Elizabeth and I,
We sang in harmony, “Come Home Newfoundlander”
They smiled, nodded their heads and sighed.

As I stood there, still holding her precious hands
My heart was lit on fire,
Memories flowing back to when we were little kids
Singing in her fabulous and outstanding well know choir.

Love you always, and think of you fondly when we sing!!!!

Mary Lou (Mallard) Tucker and the Mallard family

SR MARY BRENDAN 
This is a lovely tribute to the Sisters who served us so well and particularly to Sr Brendan. Thank you so very much Marylou.

4 comments:

  1. I believe these loving sisters, and the Mallard girls, are truly a gift from God.

    God Bless,

    Bob Gorman
    Holy Cross- Patrick Street

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob
      Thanks for looking in & for your comment. We love to get feedback. I agree with you - the sisters and the Mallard girls are indeed a gift from God. May God bless them all!

      Delete
  2. I was one of Sister Brendan's students along with Sister Luke. I was also in the choir. Those days are filled with fond memories of St. Patrick's school, the Convent and the tunnels, if anyone can remember that. I also Remember the older part of the school where the old gym was and used after as a cafeteria with classrooms upstairs. I can still picture all this so clearly as if it was yesterday. I truly miss those days. The tunnels would start in convent square and come out at the end of the church. Who remember this? I know I will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail
      I remember what we used to call the Passage. It used to be dark &, if you had an overactive imagination, a bit creepy! They really were great days & I think we were lucky. All the best to you in 2017.

      Delete