Wednesday 7 November 2018

The Fighting Vaughan Brothers

The story of the Vaughan brothers is one that I know well because it was told and retold in our house when I was growing up. My mother's childhood friend was Pauline Vaughan, only sister of the Vaughan brothers, and the memory of such sadness in a family she knew well stayed with my mother throughout her life. The Vaughan brothers were also parishioners of St Patrick's and Fr Kevin Molloy, their nephew, is Pauline's son. I will say no more because this video, with the help of Brenda Mooney, Pauline's daughter, says it all. Please take the time to watch this video. 



The book "peace by piece" deserves a mention too. I received a copy of it as a Birthday present in September.  If you don't have a copy, you should do your best to get one because "peace by piece" is a beautiful and unusual way of remembering the heroism of Newfoundland families in WWI.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful, heartbreaking video. I went to school with Brenda at St. Patricks. RIP Vaughan Brothers. Thank you for your service.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joan
      It really is heartbreaking. We can't imagine the sorrow and grief of the family but the poor mother must have been beyond devastated. My mother grew up on McKay St and she and Pauline were childhood friends who spent a lot of time in one anothers houses so my mom knew the family well. When 1 July and 11 Nov rolled around every year Mom and her sister, who also knew the Vaughans, would remember them and talk about them. So we children grew up hearing about the Vaughans as well as so many others who my parents knew. What terribly sad and tragic years they were. God rest their brave souls.

      Delete