Tuesday 11 December 2018

CHRISTMAS EVE 1951

If this lovely picture doesn't warm the cockles of your heart this Christmas Season, then I don't know what will.  Doreen Walsh Noseworthy sent it to us way back in September and I liked it so much I had difficulty restraining myself from posting it immediately.  I really wanted to save it for Christmas and, for once, I managed to keep myself in check.  

The little angels formed part of the annual Midnight Mass ceremony, accompanying the priest as the Baby Jesus was placed in the manger.  Doreen tells us that this particular group of angels made their appearance on Christmas Eve 1951, their Kindergarten year.  
Midnight Mass at St Patrick's Church, Christmas Eve, 1951

The angels are, left to right;
Front; Doreen Walsh, Elizabeth Flynn, Lois Morrissey
Middle; Claire Ronayne, Margaret Fleming
Back; Eileen Maher, Margaret Morrissey, Alice Prim

I love Doreen's recollections of that long ago night.  
"Alice and I walked to and from Mass that evening with my Mom.  It was the perfect Christmas Eve.  There was snow on the ground and the moon was as bright as could be.  I'm pretty sure we were anxious to get home and off to bed before Santa arrived though." 

As Doreen said, "they were very special times and life was so much simpler then".  Indeed they were, my friend!

Doreen, thank you so very much for sharing this beautiful picture and the precious memories.  I wish you and 'little angels' everywhere, a happy, peaceful, and memory making Christmas.  

2 comments: