Wednesday 26 June 2019

MY GRANDFATHER, MY HERO

This post, about William Gushue, another "Glorious Survivor", is a touching tribute from his grandson, Don Mallard.  Pte Gushue had very strong connections with St Patrick's Convent Schools and Holy Cross School.  All the Mallard girls, as well as their grandmother, attended St Patrick's and the boys are all Holy Cross boys.  There is nothing else for me to say except, thank you very much, Don, for this moving story.  We are so pleased you shared it with us.

"As the first of July ... in Newfoundland (Remembrance Day) comes round,  I keep looking out into my garden - not really my garden, but a work of art of my beautiful wife Brenda. I notice one flower that I really love, because it was the symbol of remembrance for Newfoundland before we became a province of Canada! It is, of course, the beautiful blue Forget-Me-Not.

It also brings back many memories of my childhood and memories of my beautiful grandparents! I was the first of a flock of thirteen Mallards. Being the first born, I had a special place in their hearts which I didn’t hesitate to take advantage of. We lived in a three story house at the bottom of Stephen St. Three small apartments and I shared the middle one with my Nan and Pop Gushue. Mom and  Dad shared the bottom floor larger apartment with the rest of the kids. My Aunt Kay, Uncle Art shared the top floor with their family! They all treated me like a king and I loved them and will never forget them. The house was later expropriated during the urban renewal times in the early sixties. It stood just west of Barter’s Hill....where City Hall stands now!

When I was invited to share a few words about my Grandfather Gushue I didn’t quite know where to start.  You see he was a Veteran of Two World Wars and one of the most influential people in my life along with my Nan Gushue and my wonderful Mom and Dad. I was so blessed to be brought up with so much love that is still alive to this day! That’s their legacy - I can’t thank them enough!

The inscription on the service medal says: 
Don's Grandfather's Medal
1914-1918  
 
8293 P F E
W. Gushue
NEWFD F.C

When I researched a little, I found out that Pop Gushue served in the Forestry Unit of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment during World War I. This is not a war story, but a tribute to a man who left his home and family to serve his country in the Great War.

As a boy I remember speaking to him about the War, but he never spoke much about it. He never spoke of seeing any action. Maybe that was a good thing!  He did speak of some of his comrades whom he remembered fondly!  Being of this generation he was very proud of his regiment. “Better than the Best” he would say, quoting a British General describing the courage and toughness of the Newfoundland Regiment.  He was very proud of the letter from the King thanking him for his service upon his return home! Over a hundred years ago now. He liked to speak of places he had been, but the First World War was something he didn’t say a whole lot about to me as a kid.  Maybe the memories were too painful... no doubt he lost a lot of his friends.
Letter signed by King George V and Pte Gushue's medal

In the years following the war he settled down, married and had four children, my Aunt Kay ( Cathrine ) my Aunt Anne, my Mom Helen and Uncle Bill. Mom and Uncle Bill are still with us today and what a blessing that is! He married Mary Monica Flynn, (my beautiful Nan Gushue) one of the sweetest souls God ever created.  
Mary and William Gushue

Pop became a sailor, he worked on many different ships and was away from his family for long periods of time! It must have been so hard on my Nan Gushue. Following the War and then into the twenties and depression years of the thirties he worked “on the boats” mostly as a Chief Steward. We cannot imagine the hard times they went through. This is how he provided for his family. He did see the world and spoke of the many places he had been! The homecomings must have been joyous, but being away for such long periods of time his children would hardly recognise him. 

Then it came again in September 1939. Adolf Hitler and his Nazi Germany invaded Poland and Great Britain and the Empire were at war again. Pop became one of the brave Merchant Seamen who worked the unarmed ships that were crucial to keeping Great Britain, now alone in Europe with vital supplies. The Battle of the Atlantic was one of the most crucial battles of World War Two! German submarines were everywhere and they were lethal, sinking hundreds of ships. 

I remember him telling me a sad story of he and one of his friends. Pop had gotten a berth on the “MV Narissa” as Chief Steward. In the meantime he had gotten a better berth on another vessel, “The Monarch of Bermuda”. He met his friend walking in the street. His friend did the same type of work as he and he told him of his berth on the “Narissa", which he had just given up. His friend applied and got the berth that was his.  Shortly after “The Narissa” was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine and Pop’s friend lost his life. I know Pop Gushue had a very hard time with this. He felt he had sent his friend to his death. 

He told me of a close call he had when he ended up overboard during a blackout in Scotland...he managed to save himself and a number of his fellow sailors who had fallen overboard too!  I remember my Nan Gushue poking fun at him telling him it wouldn’t have happened if they weren’t all drunk, not sure if they were drinking or not, but that was Nan...being the wife of a sailor that was the first thing she would think. Pop would just chuckle at that!

After the War Pop Gushue returned home.  He finally got closer to home. He landed a real good job out in Argentia, at the U S base there.  It looked like things were looking up, but life throws many curves. Pop found his eyesight failing. He was later diagnosed with Glaucoma and in a short while went totally blind in both eyes!  Back then the health care was nowhere where it is today, but Private William Gushue of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment WWI and Merchant Seaman of WW2 was now facing an even greater challenge than bullets and submarines. He would be blind for the rest of his life.

I can tell you now what sustained him and helped him and got him through those difficult years.  He was a man of great Faith. I can remember him walking back and forth our long narrow hallway on Stephen St. with his white cane in one hand and his Rosary in the other.  I remember the priest coming to our house with the Blessed Sacrament and the reverence for the Eucharist, which is the center of our Catholic Faith, that was displayed. I remember my Nan Gushue preparing a small alter of two candles and a crucifix in their bedroom and nobody spoke while the priest was in the house ministering to Pop!  His Faith sustained him and nurtured him for the remainder of his life. I remember Nan Gushue and Pop on their knees with Mom and Dad and the rest of the family leading the Rosary during Lent and other times. Because of Nan and Pop,  and my Mom and Dad, this gift of Faith has been passed on to all of their children, and grandchildren as well. Mom still has the Rosary every Monday night with the family.

What a gift that has been passed on. In my own Faith journey I remember the words of Father Kevin Mckenna’s blessing and the gift that has been passed on to all of our family...”and may he grant you the greatest of all gifts, the final perseverance in the Faith of Jesus Christ...no matter what!" This gift that was passed on to me personally has sustained me through a ten year battle with two types of cancers.

So my Grandfather (Pop) Gushue is definitely my hero. I have and always will have a soft spot in my heart for all veterans and those who serve and have served. May God Bless them and their families! We owe them so much...we must never forget them!
God Bless you all!
Don Mallard"
Don placing Forget-Me-Nots on his grandfather's grave 

3 comments:

  1. Wow....Things I Never Knew About Pop ..So Proud...Thanks Don !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi.Don.Thank You so much for this Beautiful Tribute to Poppy.Thank You for Enlightening Our Family About His Life.So many things I didn't know and so Proud to know them now.He was a Wonderful Man.So glad he Didn't put Me and Lizzy
    Heads in the Toilet as he always told us he would.We were 2 little Devils.You have Brought Back so many Memories Don.Thank You Again.May God Bless You.Love You.xo Love Cousin Helen..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Unknown & Anonymous
    Don did a great job. I think his Nan & Pop would be very happy and proud to see what he has done. Thanks again Don and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete