Sunday 12 May 2019

ANNIE FINLAY

At St Patrick's Convent, next to where the old Passage used to be, is the little cemetery where so many of our former teachers rest.  If you have ever stopped there to say a prayer for them, you probably noticed a headstone that was a bit different from all the others.  That would be the stone that marks the grave of Annie Finlay.  Why is Annie's stone different?  Who was Annie?
In Memory of Annie

I don't suppose there are many St Patrick's pupils who remember Annie now - just some of us older 'girls'.  At that time I was quite young  myself and I am not entirely certain that I ever actually met Annie. I know Annie was then resident at the Convent as she was frequently spoken of by the Sisters and also by my mother and aunts.

Annie Finlay was born on the beautiful Southern Shore, at either St Shotts or Trepassey, in November 1887. She wasn't a Sister but I think she was a relation of one of the Sisters at St Patrick's Convent.  Annie went to work there as a live in Domestic.  For many years Annie was a faithful member of the Convent family and she was well loved by the Sisters.  When she died on 3rd November 1953, Annie was laid to rest among the Sisters whom she had known and served for so many years.  

If you see Annie's headstone you will notice that it does not give her age at death.  The 1921 census gives her age at that time as 33. Assuming the census was conducted before November, this would correspond with a birthdate of 1887. So, as poor as my mathematical skills are, even I can work out that Annie would have been 66 years old when she died.  If anyone can add something to Annie's story, I would be very grateful if you shared with us.  You can send it to mcallistersmith@gmail.com.

I also came across an interesting item regarding St Patrick's Cemetery in the will of one of the Sisters, Sr M Patrick Wadden.  

Sr M Patrick (Ellen Wadden) was born in Ferns, Ireland, to Catherine and Nicholas Wadden.  She and two of her sisters joined the Presentation Community at St Patrick's Convent, Riverhead.  Her sisters were Sr M Gertrude and Sr M Aloysius.  Sr Patrick died at St Patrick's Convent on 8th March 1920.  She was 67 years old.

Sr Patrick'c Grave
It appears that Sr Patrick was the owner of a property on Water St.  The following is an extract from her will. 

"2nd.  All rights and titles held or possessed by me over that house and property situated on Water Street West, and at present occupied by Mr Thomas Wall, I will and bequeath to my sister Bridget Wadden (in Religion Sister Mary Aloysius) to be held by her as heretofore held by me, having always in view the obligations as well as the privileges of her Religious Vows.


3rd.  It is my wish that the sum of Forty Dollars ($40), be given annually out of the rents of said house, on Water Street, for Masses for the repose of the souls of the Sisters of St Patrick's Convent at present interred, or hereafter to be interred in the Cemetery attached to said Convent."

I don't know if it is possible to visit the Cemetery now that the Sisters have left St Patrick's but I sincerely hope it is.  It is important for relatives, friends and former pupils to have the freedom to pay respects at the graves of the Sisters who, over the years, contributed so much to the life of St John's West. 

May the souls of Annie Finlay, Sr M Patrick Wadden, and all who lie in that little cemetery rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment