Monday 21 November 2011

HAPPY PRESENTATION DAY

Nano Nagle, Foundress of the
Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Well, friends, as you will all be aware, today, 21st November, is the Feast of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, or as we knew it, PRESENTATION DAY.  I guess we all have our memories of past Presentation Days at St Patrick's but perhaps what we remember most is that we always got a holiday on Presentation Day!  After all, we were children and children LOVE a holiday from school!  However, now that we are older and wiser (well older anyway) we are certain to have a more mature attitude to Presentation Day.  Aren't we?   Let's get serious now.

We owe a lot to Nano Nagle and her Presentation Sisters.  I know that I feel nothing but respect, gratitude and love for the Presentations who educated me.  That in itself makes them deserving of heaven!  As a little tribute to all  Presentation Sisters, I post this lovely little story of one Nun's kindness.  The story comes from Karen (Nelson) Brown.

Once upon a time at St Patrick’s, and probably at other Catholic Schools, too, the First Friday of every month saw us all at Mass and Communion.  After Mass we scrambled home for breakfast then got back to school as soon as possible.


Karen Nelson came to St Patrick’s in Grade Four and her teacher was Mother John.  Many of us will remember Mother John.  Karen lived on Kenmount Road and, at that distance, going home for breakfast definitely was not an option!  What was she to do then?  Remember Ronayne’s Store at the top of Hutchings Street?  So does Karen!  Karen said, “Mother John did not feel the chocolate milk and cinnamon bun that I would get for 25¢ at Ronayne’s Store the top of Hutchings Street was an adequate breakfast.”


I guess it wasn’t, but was there a better alternative?  Mother John thought there was!  Karen continued her story; “She would insist that I came into the convent for my breakfast on the First Fridays of the month.  I totally remember those breakfasts.  I’d be alone in one of the sitting rooms near the front door and dine on eggs, toast, jam and a whole pot of hot chocolate.  All served to me on a big tray by Mother John herself – mmmm!”


That was a truly kind and generous act and I am thinking that Nano Nagle herself must have been proud of Mother John.  I am also thinking that Karen must have hated it when her year in Mother John’s Class was over!


Thank you Karen for sharing this lovely story.  A very Happy Presentation Day to Presentation Sisters and St Patrick's Girls everywhere.  

Um, Karen, did you say eggs, toast, jam and hot chocolate?  Every First Friday for the whole year?  Wow!  Wish I had lived at a distance!

No comments:

Post a Comment