Thursday 16 August 2012

E-MAILS AND COMMENTS!

This post consists of e-mails and comments between YVONNE McISAAC and myself and an interesting  comment from CHRISTINE (BARRY) CHIPMAN.  Yvonne had some interesting memories and she has kindly given me permission to share them.  Also, Yvonne would love to hear from any former classmates.  She can be contacted at ymci@live.com 


THIS IS THE FIRST COMMENT FROM YVONNE:
"I remember my school days at St. Patrick's like it was yesterday, but they were in the 60's.  Sister Luke (principal), Sister Brendan (choir), Miss Lawton (piano) and the list goes on. I live in Ottawa now, but there was a time when I visited Ottawa as a girl with the St. Patrick's choir and we sang at the National Arts Centre...what a wonderful memory. I had the opportunity a couple of years ago to visit the school again, as my niece attended school there (I can't remember the name of it off hand) and what a great experience it was to see the old classrooms, the halls and the basement. 

I'll never forget the day when I was in class there, that Holy Cross across the street caught fire.  My brothers were students there but thankfully everyone was safe. 

Sister Luke was a wonderful principal and I remember her so well.

Those green uniforms will never be forgotten for sure!

God Bless all the St. Patrick's Girls."


MY REPLY TO YVONNE:
"Good Morning Yvonne

Thank you for these lovely sentiments.  I was at St Patrick's in the 50s but like you, I remember those days like it was yesterday.  I have nothing but happy memories of my school days, the girls & the nuns.  I was working when Holy Cross burned but we heard at work that the school was on fire & we rushed from work to Patrick St.  I remember standing outside St Patrick's with a crowd of people watching the dear old school in flames.  A lot of people, including me, had tears streaming down their faces.  It was indeed a very sad day but, as you said, thankfully nobody was hurt.

Sr Luke was my Grade 8 teacher & she was just fantastic.  She is now about 93 years old & I still keep in touch with her.

Would you have any photos of your time at St Patrick's or any more stories or memories?  If you do I would love to post them on the blog for all to share.  Actually, the memories that you have shared in this comment would make a good post.  Would you mind if I posted it for all to see?  If you do have anything that you would like to share with all those great St Patrick's girls all over the world, you could e-mail it to me at mcallistersmith@gmail.com & I would post it on the blog but keep your e-mail address private unless you say otherwise.

Anyway Yvonne, it is really good to hear from you & thanks again for your very interesting comment.  Take care &, as you say, God bless all St Patrick's Girls."


YVONNE'S RESPONSE:
yvonne mcisaac ymci@live.com

Good morning!  Thanks for such a pleasant reply.

Please feel free to print my comments and also my email address.  I'd love to hear from other ladies who attended this school.

Actually I noticed my sister's photo (Roxanne Cullen Przybysz) in the class photo with Mrs. Green.  She's 9 years younger than I am and was one of the St. Patrick’s cheerleaders ... I remember her and the others participating in the Santa Claus Parade.

What lovely memories!

Keep in touch.   :)

O K ladies, if you know Yvonne, she would be delighted to hear from you so send her an e-mail at ymci@live.com  

HERE IS CHRISTINE'S COMMENT:


"By 1979 I was no longer at St Pat's however I do remember Mrs Greene.  I remember we had 2 Mrs Greenes, a Mrs Cathy Greene (who was my grade 4??  teacher in 1969-1970) and this lady who was a Mrs Angela Greene!!

I wish someone would send in more of these class pics say from
-Mrs Warren
-Mrs Burry
-Mrs O'Brien
-Mrs Linehan so many fine teachers and of course Sr. Luke!!!!
Thank you-- Christine (Barry) Chipman

PS- have to post as anonymous as only way it would."


This photo is for Yvonne and for Christine.  How many can you identify?  I will post the names next post.

ST PATRICK'S FACULTY, 1979.  HOW MANY CAN YOU NAME?

8 comments:

  1. thank you beth-anne for posting my comments and for posting this wonderful picture--i cannot remember them all only about 10!! but it sure was great to see themm again!!
    if only there was more pictures !!! i will be waiting for you to post the names--God Bless!!!
    Christine (Barry) Chipman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine
    As I promised, I have just re-posted the picture of the teachers along with the names. Thanks for your continued interest. Don't forget to pass the link on to any others St Patrick's girls you know. The more people I hear from the better the blog will be. Thanks again & take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I am happy to find this page, and to see comments from Yvonne (Cullen) mentioning Roxanne. I was at St. Pat's for grades 3-5 (1969-1972), starting in the portables with Miss Sears (I think). We lived at 199 Lemarchant Road, which is now gone. I live in Ottawa now. I used to write a friend from Lemarchant, asking about Roxanne, because just before we moved to Ontario (my dad was in the military and we were transferred) one of the Cullen girls was hit by a car on Lemarchant - I saw it happen and it has never left my memory.

    St. Pat's was a beautiful time for me. It was one of my most memorable schools (numbering 14 before I graduated high school). I absolutely lived in the library with Sister Redempta (spelling?), reading voraciously anything I could get my hands on. I was in the Choir and we sang at Kiwanis, but I mouthed the words as I was terrified to mess up. I loved the concerts. I was a Girl Guide. I was so curious about the nuns and their residence.

    I visited the Church and grounds this summer. Such a good feeling washed over me there.

    Would love to hear from anyone who remembers me, and I will keep up here to see what other memories people have.

    Cheers,

    Yvonne Dionne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Yvonne
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I haven't been getting much time here lately so just came across your comment. I am going to put your comment into a post so that more people will be able to see it. (You can give me an e-mail address if you would like friends to contact you.)

    Did you hear that Miss Sears passed away last summer? She was a really nice person wasn't she.

    Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. It is great to hear from you & I hope you will continue to look in. Any pictures, stories, memories, etc, that you have of your days at St Patrick's would be greatly appreciated. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi , I remember Miss Wakehan and Miss Ball when I went there in the 60s. Love to see some pictures from back then . Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doreen A. Noseworthy26 June 2013 at 17:15

    I, too, was a former student and went on to become a very proud member of staff at St. Patrick's Convent School. I remember the names of each of these former colleagues and friends because we were more than all of that. We were family. I am very pleased to present:

    1st row (L-R): Patricia Laidley, Sharon Reddy, Sister M. Anne, Anna(Croft) Meaney, Sister M. Luke, Ewald Hajek, Kathy (Croke) Warren, Patricia (McCarthy) Philpott

    2nd row (L-R): Doreen (Walsh) Noseworthy, Susan (Poole) Wade, Eleanor Lawton, Dianne O'Brien, Ann Broderick, Denise (Power) Barbour, Angela Greene

    3rd row (L-R): Marilyn McGrath, Sister M. Brendan, Roseanne (Wakeham) Linehan, Helen Hannon, Mary McGrath, Anne (Ball) Pennell

    I hope this will be of some help in recalling other wonderful memories of school days for many of you. This site, thanks to Beth Anne, is such a great way to reconnect. Keep passing it on and watch it grow.

    All the best to all former students and teachers of St. Patrick's Convent School, both living and deceased.

    Sincerely,
    Doreen (Walsh) Noseworthy


    ReplyDelete
  7. BETH ANNE I JUST LEFT HOLY CROSS WENT TO OKEEFES STORE ?WITHIN VERY SHORT TIME SOMEONE YELLED OUR SCHOOL IS ON FIRE / KIDDING I SAID YEAH- I WISH _ SECONDS LATER I WAS ALSO IN THAT CROWD_ BUT NOT LAUGHING BUT WITH A TEAR / LOOKING FOR PHOTOS OF SCHOOL BUT CANT FIND ANY __ MY SEARCH CONTINUES ? BOB GORMAN HOLY CROSS ? PATRICK ST> - GOD BLESS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob, I have some pictures of Holy Cross. I will dig them out & post them on the blog. They might be what you are looking for.

      Delete