Wednesday 22 August 2012

PHOTO AND ANECDOTES THANKS TO ENID

For this great photo and the information, I have to thank Enid (Stanford) O'Brien.  I am sure many memories will be revived with this picture & with Enid's anecdotes.  Thanks very much, Enid.

"Hi,

I am attaching a photo of St. Patrick's Convent School girls.  I believe this might be Sister Immaculata's Class (Grade 6) or Mrs. Whelan's Class (Grade 7) taken about 1956/57.  The names are as follows:"

St Patrick's Convent School, Patrick St, about 1956

"Row 1 (L-R) Florence Furey, Carol Ann Mealey, Rhonda Flynn, Elizabeth Roche, Janet Cochrane, Betty Rodgers, Frances Kidney, Jeannie Fitzgerald, Barbara Crotty.

Row 2 (L-R) Joan Rumsey, Geraldine Reddy, Nancy Cole,  Zita King, Elizabeth White, Sheila Pridham, Jackie Sears, Cynthia Reddy, Helen Power, Anna Whelan, Marietta Dillon, Rosemary Grouchy and Thelma Walsh

Row 3 (L-R) Patricia Nelder, Marcia Hurley, Margaret Kent, Shirley Walsh, Emma Doyle, Carmelita Hearn, Betty Royle, Peggy Boggan, Maureen Manning, Eileen Healey, Enid Stanford, Andrea Meaney

Row 4 (L-R) Sheila Ellis, Jeanette Barnes, Madelene Roy, Marie Evans, Theresa Brewer, Patricia Squires

As far as I know there are two people on this picture gone to their eternal reward, ie, Andrea Meaney and Jacqueline Sears.

The things I remember most about Sister Immaculata was her presence at the door checking if the students had a rubber bag, if not, leave your boots by the door.  The school was new at that time and she wanted it spotless.  The thing I enjoyed about her class was that she lent us books to bring home to read, ie, Nancy Drew, Little Women, etc.  Also, I enjoyed her needlework class on Wednesday.  Even though I was a bit afraid of her I know looking back she had a good heart. 

Other memories I have of St. Patrick`s was the Sale of Work.  Everyone brought milk, sugar, etc and the nuns made cookies and fudge.  Tables with white cloths were set out in classrooms of the old school and it was the first time I ever saw sugar cubes for tea.  I thought it was all so grand. 

Also, I remember a Capt O`Grady coming up to teach us how to march.  We practised out in the playground.  We all marched when the Portuguese fishermen brought the Lady of Fatima statues to the cathedral.  All Catholic schools were in that  parade.  We wore our uniforms and white tams on our heads. 

Happy times, good memories.

Enid"

No comments:

Post a Comment