Wednesday 3 April 2013

MISS MURPHY'S KINDERGARTEN, 1950/51

For this beauty, I owe sincere thanks to Enid O'Brien. Enid has a rich source of material which she generously shares with this blog. As well as this photo, Enid has also supplied most of the names. If anyone out there is able to add any more names or, indeed, add any information about the photo, where it was taken or ANYTHING AT ALL, Enid & I would be delighted and grateful.
Miss Murphy's Kindergarten Class, 1950/51

Enid wrote;

"I have attached a picture of Miss Murphy's Kindergarten Class 1950/51. It is unbelievable that she could teach so many children without a helper(at least I don't remember one). Also, I think Kindergarten was a full day.
Below you will find a list of names. There are some omissions, a few girls I couldn't see their faces and if there are errors I am open to corrections. It is hard to remember everyone after 63 years."

Row 1. L-R: Paula Murphy, Barbara Crotty, Geraldine Reddy, Mary Reddy, Marie Perchard, Diane Edison, Gail Skinner, Geri Hearn, Carmelita Hearn, Pauline Reddy, Betty Finn, Maureen Shea, Marina Grace
Row 2. 1. Over Barbara Crotty’s shoulder ?, Norma Williams, ? Shirley Dooley’s sister, Shirley Dooley, Patsy Scott, #6 ? #7 ?, #8 ? , Patricia Morrissey, Francis Meaney, Patricia Squires, ? , Shirley/Sheila Power, Shirley Walsh
Row 3. Mary Hatfield (standing), Florence Furey (uniform), 3.?, Mary Neville, Sheila Pridham, Margaret Murphy, Mary Healey, Joan Picco, Joan or Marie Reddigan, Pauline Reddy, Frances Cousins, Joan Rumsey, Betty Healey, Elisabeth Roche, Joan Evans
Row 4. Betty Rodgers, Rosalie Stevenson, ? , Enid Stanford, Elizabeth White, Betty Holden, Libby Dillon, Theresa Brewer, Helen Westcott, Barbara Cleary, Trudy Hayes
You have done well to remember so many names, Enid.  And I agree, it must have been a daunting task to have to teach such a large group of children.   When I was in Kindergarten, we just went a half day.  I went in the morning as did my friend but her sister went in the afternoon.  Perhaps it was different other years.  Anyway Enid, I appreciate all your input and thank you again.  Let's hope we hear from some of the 'girls' on this beautiful picture.

1 comment:

  1. So happy to have found this! A friend recommended the blog! I was in Miss Murphy’s class 1949, does anyone have a photo?? My name is Bernadette Murphy Andrejco. I have lived in the states since age 15 and was very excited to have my grandchildren visit this past summer of 2017. They loved it and now want me to rite about my childhood in St. John’s. Thx for any help.

    ReplyDelete